Laura Somaini is an Associate, member of the Intellectual Property & IT law and of the Regulatory & Trade law departments, at Pierstone Brussels.
Laura is fluent in Italian, English, French and Spanish.
- EU Law
- Technology & ICT Law
- Data Protection & Privacy
Laura holds an LL.M in EU Law from the College of Europe in Bruges (2019) and a Law Degree from Bocconi University in Milan (2018).
During her studies, Laura gained international academic experiences at the University of Oxford, Tsinghua University (Beijing) and the Australian National University (Canberra).
Prior to joining Pierstone, Laura was an Academic Fellow at Bocconi University, where she worked as Research and Teaching Assistant in “Public Law” and “Digital Privacy” courses. Her research covered topics related to Internet regulation, data protection, freedom of expression, constitutional, comparative and EU law.
Laura is also a registered Trainee Lawyer in Italy and in addition to training with the Bar Association, previously completed internships at the European Commission’s DG for Competition (Antitrust enforcement in the media sector) and CRC Lex (IT & Privacy team).
- “Europe at the Crossroad: The Regulatory Conundrum to Face the Raise and Amplification of False Content in Internet”, in The Global Community Yearbook of International Law and Jurisprudence 2019, OUP, Forthcoming 2020 (with O. Pollicino, G. De Gregorio).
- “Online disinformation and freedom of expression in the democratic context: the European and Italian responses”, in S. Baume, V. Boillet, V. Martenet (eds.), Misinformation in Referenda, Routledge, New York, Forthcoming 2020 (with O. Pollicino).
- “Regulating the Dynamic Concept of Non-Personal Data in the EU: From Ownership to Portability”, European Data Protection Law Review, vol. 6, no. 1, 2020.
- “The right to data portability and user control: ambitions and limitations”, Rivista di diritto dei media, no. 3, 2018.