Maarten Vanderhaeghe is a member of the New York State Bar since 2015, a member of the Brussels Bar Association (B-list) since 2017 and a Partner, head of the EU Regulatory & Trade law department, at Pierstone Brussels.
He is fluent in Dutch, English and French with a working knowledge of Spanish and a basic knowledge of German.
Maarten is a skilled international lawyer with extensive experience in providing legal and public affairs services concerning EU and international regulatory and trade matters. Throughout his career, he has advised and represented both national and international private and sovereign clients in various sectors such as the chemicals, electronics, ICT and steel industries. His expertise covers a wide range of EU and international regulatory and trade issues including, but not limited to:
- Trade law and policy;
- Trade defence proceedings;
- Regulatory developments and compliance;
- Export controls and sanctions;
- Customs law and policy;
- Corporate law and governance;
- Competition law.
- Since 2020: Partner at Pierstone, Brussels;
- 2019-2020: Counsel at Olislaegers, De Creus & Clerens (ODC), Diegem;
- 2016-2019: Associate at VVGB Avocats/Advocaten, Brussels;
- 2014-2016: Associate at EU Strategies, Brussels;
- 2008-2011: Senior EU Trade and Regulatory Analyst, White & Case, Brussels;
- 2002-2005: International Trade Analyst, White & Case, Washington, DC (US).
Maarten obtained a Juris Doctor law degree (JD), cum laude, from the University of Miami School of Law in 2014. Prior to his law studies, he also earned a Master of Arts (MA) from the Tufts University Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy in 2007 and an MA in History, cum laude, from the Free University of Brussels (VUB) in 2001. During his studies, Maarten received a fellowship from the prestigious Belgian American Education Foundation (BAEF) for the academic year 2006-2007, took coursework at the Harvard University Kennedy School of Government in 2006, and spent a semester at the IE Law School in Madrid, Spain in 2013.
- “Brexit: Important Trademark Considerations”, ODC Newsletter EU Regulatory & Trade Law, 19 December 2019 (with A. Clerens)
- “Brexit Prospects: Impact of Conservative Party Win in UK General Election”, ODC Newsletter EU Regulatory & Trade Law, 13 December 2019
- “Preparing for Brexit: Urgent Regulatory, Trade and Contractual Considerations”, ODC Newsletter EU Regulatory & Trade Law, 13 August 2019 (with M. Olislaegers)
- “Exporting to Canada: Easy and Predictable Within the CETA-Framework”, ODC Newsletter EU Regulatory & Trade Law, 8 July 2019
- Chapter on European Union in The International Trade Law Review: Fourth Edition, Law Business Research Ltd, 2018 (with K. Huyghebaert and N. Kuplewatzky)
- Chapter on European Union in The International Trade Law Review: Third Edition, Law Business Research Ltd, 2017 (with J. Cornelis and F. Graafsma).