Werner Vanderhaeghe is a member of the Brussels Bar Association since 1975 and a Senior Partner, member of the Commercial & Corporate law department, at Pierstone Brussels.
He is fluent in Dutch, English and French with a working knowledge of German.
Werner is one of Belgium’s most senior international business lawyers and a director of companies with broad experience in domestic and international business transactions, complex multi-jurisdictional litigation and arbitration, corporate governance and compliance. During the past 45 years, he has advised clients both as a private practitioner in Brussels with Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton and with White & Case, where he was a Partner, and as General Counsel of the Bekaert Group and the Agfa-Gevaert Group. His expertise covers a wide range of international business and finance issues including, but not limited to:
• Mergers and acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures;
• Project financings;
• Workouts and restructurings;
• Industrial turnkey projects;
• Initial public offerings and capital markets;
• Corporate law and governance;
• Competition law and compliance;
• Litigation and international arbitration.
Werner has represented clients and advised on transactions throughout Europe and in Latin America, Asia, the Middle East and the United States. He has written and lectured frequently on corporate governance and on Belgian and EU law, including compliance issues in the area of competition and environmental law. He has also served as a member of the Board of Directors of Tele Danmark in Denmark, the Belgacom Art Foundation in Belgium and Medicalis Corporation in the United States and as a member of the Supervisory Board of Matav/MagyarCom in Hungary and Agfa-Gevaert AG in Germany.
In addition, Werner was a teaching assistant Comparative Law and Commercial Law at the State University of Ghent, School of Law from 1975 to 1977 and a visiting professor International Joint ventures at the Catholic University of Louvain, School of Law from 1988 to 1992.
• Pierstone Brussels, 2020 – present, Senior Partner
• Olislaegers & De Creus/Awerian, 2016 – 2020, Partner
• Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, Brussels & Frankfurt, 2011 – 2015, Counsel
• Agfa-Gevaert Group, 2001 – 2008, General Counsel and Company Secretary
• Vanderhaeghe, De Wolf, Boelens & Lambrecht, 2001 – 2011, Founding Partner
• Ameritech/SBC International, 1999 – 2000, Vice President and General Counsel
• White & Case LLP, Brussels, 1995 – 1999, Partner
Bekaert Group, 1985 – 1994, Vice President and General Counsel
• Arbed/Sidmar, 1983 – 1984, Counsel Joint Ventures and Acquisitions
• Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, Brussels, 1978 – 1982, Associate
Werner is also a member of the International Bar Association.
Werner obtained his law degree LLB, magna cum laude, from the State University of Ghent, 1974 and holds an MCJ degree from The University of Texas at Austin, School of Law, 1975. He also holds the Certificate from the Insead-Cedep, General Management Program, 1990-1992.
• “The General Counsel as newcomer in the executive suite: What can go wrong?” in The Iberian Lawyer, August 2012
• “Bedrijfsjuristen na het arrest Akzo Nobel: Hoe moet het nu verder?” in De Bestuurder, February 2011
• “Een goede bestuurder beslist zorgvuldig en loyaal” in De Bestuurder, October 2010 (interview)
• “The continued questioning of privilege” in The Iberian Lawyer, October 2010
• “The focus has shifted and is now squarely on the General Counsel” in Ideas IE Law School, Madrid, Spain, July 2010 (interview)
• “Una firma global debe estar en Latinoamérica” in Expansion, Madrid, Spain, June 22, 2010 (interview)
• “Setting up an Environmental Compliance Program” in European Counsel, June 1998 (co-author with M. Wachenfeld)
• “Guidelines for Managing Environmental Inspections in Europe” in New York Law Journal, July 1997 (co-author with M. Wachenfeld)
• “De Bedrijfsjurist en het Vertrouwelijkheidbeginsel: een toepassing in het kartelrecht” in Tendensen in het Bedrijfsrecht, Belgische Vereniging van Bedrijfsjuristen, 1992
• “L’organisation des pouvoirs au sein de l’entreprise : un bouclier civil contre le glaive pénal?” in Le Risque Pénal dans la Gestion des Entreprises, Commission Droit et Vie des Affaires, January 1991
• “De « Intra-Enterprise Conspiracy »-Doctrine in het Europees en Amerikaans Kartelrecht. Een Overzicht” in Jurist in Bedrijf, Belgische Vereniging van Bedrijfsjuristen, 1989
• “La gestion du droit dans l’entreprise ou la nécessité d’une stratégie juridique” in Le Droit dans la Gestion des Entreprises, Commission Droit et Vie des Affaires, December 1989
• “Current Developments in European Agency Law” co-author in The International Lawyer, Volume 12, Number 3, 1978