Hannes Abraham represents national and international clients on intellectual property, IT and commercial law matters. His expertise includes trade practices, e-commerce, games of chance, distribution, data protection and R&D projects in various sectors. He has extensive experience in litigation before all levels of Belgian courts as well as courts and administrative bodies of the European Union. Hannes further has experience in non-contentious matters, including advising on and drafting all types of commercial, IT and privacy related agreements.
Hannes obtained his law degree from the University of Ghent. He also holds an L.L.M in Intellectual Property Law from the University of Louvain (KUL/HUB). He was admitted to the Brussels Bar in 2012.
He joined PIERSTONE in 2018 after working for top tier Benelux firm NautaDutilh for 6 years.
Hannes regularly speaks and publishes on various subjects and serves on the editorial board of IE-Forum.be.
He is fluent in Dutch and English and has a good working knowledge of French and German.
Recent publications include:
- “Debranding Before Import Not Allowed”, NautaDutilh Newsflash, 2 August 2018
- “EU Trade Marks Should Be Distinctive Throughout the EU, Not Just a Significant Part Thereof”, NautaDutilh Newsflash, 31 July 2018
- “Supplementary IP claims”, Bulletin BMM 2018/1, 3
(original title: “Nevenvorderingen”)
- “The ‘Aldi-defence’ against trademark infringement claims”, ICIP Ing. Con. 2018/1, 128
(original title: “Het ‘Aldi-verweer’ bij inbreukvorderingen. Een verweer van de Aldi…”)
- “Spotify and Netflix soon available abroad”, L’Echo, 8 June 2017 (co-author: Philippe Péters)
(original title: « Spotify et Netflix bientôt disponibles à l’étranger »)
- “Aftereffect of trademark infringements”, ICIP Ingénieur Conseil 2017/1, 191
(original title: “Nawerking van een merkinbreuk”)
- “Disparagement and denigrating advertising”, RABG 2017/5, 417
(original title: “Slechtmaking en afbrekende reclame”)
- “Beware of Tenants Selling Counterfeit Goods !”, NautaDutilh Newsflash, 20 July 2016
- “The importance of a (famous) trademark in a beer war”, ICIP Ingénieur Conseil 2016/2, 494
(original title: “Het belang van een (bekend) merk in een bieroorlog”)
- “When is slavish imitation unlawful under Belgian law ?”, Bulletin BMM 2015/1, 2 (co-author: Florence Verhoestraete)
(original title: “Wanneer is slaafs nabootsen onrechtmatig naar Belgisch recht?”)
- “The personality stamp (in copyright law)”, ICIP Ingénieur Conseil, 2014/3, 530
(original title: “De stempel van de persoonlijkheid: terug van (nooit) weggeweest”)
- “Does originality no longer require a stamp of the author’s personality ?”, IE-Forum.be, IEFBe150, 8 April 2013
(original title: “Originaliteit vereist geen persoonlijke stempel meer?”)